- Hook: Fulling Mill All Purpose Lightweight, typically size 16 (also 14)
- Thread: Uni 8/0 Tan
- Tail: Dark basal fibres from large red game or badger cock hackles
- Body: Butt: Flyrite 17 Golden Brown
- Rest of body: Flyrite 42 Dark Olive Brown
- Rib: Pearsall’s silk 6a
- Wing: Five CdC plumes
- Thorax hackle: Medium dun or medium brown dun cock hackle, trimmed to a “V”underneath
I was introduced to the Ducks Dun by David Collins from Moccas and it is based on Hans van Klinken’s Universal Baetis body, which has a parachute hackle, unlike this fly which has a cdc hackle.
This fly accounted for a large number of Slovenia on at least two occasions, when we lost count of the number of fish that it caught. It is highly rated by a number of my fishing acquaintances. Dave Collins does a really good talk with a slide show on the Ducks Dun.